Apple Walnut Pie Recipe
My family is fond of any treat featuring apples, but this pie is the one they like best. Unlike some fruit pies, this crust doesn't become soggy, thanks to the addition of ground walnuts. Everyone agrees the flavor of nuts pairs well with apples in this fall favorite. —Evonne Wurmnest, Normal, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional milk, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar, egg, milk, 1 tablespoon butter, vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Spread nut mixture over crust.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss apples with remaining lemon juice. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; toss with apples. Spoon over the nut mixture; dot with remaining butter.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush top with a additional milk if desired. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 468 calories, 24 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 325 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC