Apples are plentiful this time of year, and this cake is one of my favorite recipes using this delicious and nutritious fruit.
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups diced unpeeled apples
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; mix into the batter. Fold in apples and nuts.
- Spread into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool.
- For the frosting, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Whip until smooth and spread over cake. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Apple Walnut Cake in Country October/November 1991, p51
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Apple Walnut Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review