This moist cake is perfect for brunch. It gets its appeal from big chunks of sweet apples, nutty flavor and creamy frosting. The recipe, originally my mom's, is a unique harvest treat.
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chopped unpeeled apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 packages (3 ounce each) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs. Add oil and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to sugar mixture, mixing well. Stir in apples and walnuts. Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a bowl. Gradually add confectioners' sugar until the frosting has reached desired spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Apple Walnut Cake in Taste of Home October/November 1993, p35
Reviews for Apple Walnut Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review