Apple Walnut Cake Recipe
This moist cake is perfect for brunch. It gets its appeal from big chunks of sweet apples, nutty flavor and creamy frosting. The recipe, originally my mom's, is a unique harvest treat.
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chopped unpeeled apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 packages (3 ounce each) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs. Add oil and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to sugar mixture, mixing well. Stir in apples and walnuts. Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla in a bowl. Gradually add confectioners' sugar until the frosting has reached desired spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Apple Walnut Cake in Taste of Home October/November 1993, p35
Reviews for Apple Walnut Cake(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 27, 2013
My batter was really thick - like brownie batter. The result was less like a cake and more like an apple blondie. It tasted alright; it just wasn't what I was expecting.
Reviewed Nov. 9, 2012
Make it without frosting and it's delicious on itself!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Cake >
- Apple Cakes >
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Frosting Recipes >
- Halloween Cakes >