Apple Walnut Bread
I first made this bread when I was in high school in 1929. The recipe has stood the test of time! —Helen Rebic, McAllen, Texas
16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4-1/2 teaspoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped tart apple
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time,
- beating well after each addition. Beat in buttermilk and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to
- creamed mixtures. Fold in apple and walnuts. Pour into a greased
- 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until
- a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing
- from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 199 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 187 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.