If you need a homespun snack or bake sale treat that can be assembled in a hurry, try these moist nutty bars. The squares are sweet, flavorful and loaded with chopped apple and nuts. Best of all, they won't break the bank because they cost only 15¢ per bar. —Jennifer Dzubinski San Antonio, Texas
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually add to the creamed mixture, just until combined. Stir in apple and walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Apple Walnut Squares in Quick Cooking May/June 2001, p31
Reviews for Apple Walnut Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review