If you need a homespun snack or bake sale treat that can be assembled in a hurry, try these moist nutty bars. The squares are sweet, flavorful and loaded with chopped apple and nuts. Best of all, they won't break the bank because they cost only 15¢ per bar. —Jennifer Dzubinski San Antonio, Texas
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually add to the creamed mixture, just until combined. Stir in apple and walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Apple Walnut Squares in Quick Cooking May/June 2001, p31
Reviews for Apple Walnut Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 3, 2013
"A nice recipe. Bars have a great crunch on the outside, but are very moist inside. Could use some additional seasoning such as cloves, allspice, or more cinnamon, but otherwise very good."
Reviewed Apr. 19, 2012
"Very moist and sweet. Delicious."