Apple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Topped with walnuts and caramelized tart apple slices, this cake is both easy and dazzling. It never fails to make tasters say, “wow!”—Linda Wetsch, Mandan, North Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:8 servings
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon apple brandy or rum, optional
- 1. Pour butter into an ungreased 9-in. round baking pan; sprinkle with 1/2 cup brown sugar. Arrange apples in a single layer over brown sugar; layer with walnuts and remaining brown sugar.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and sour cream, beating well after each addition. Beat in brandy if desired.
- 3. Spoon batter over brown sugar layer. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 444 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC