Apple Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Topped with walnuts and caramelized tart apple slices, this cake is both easy and dazzling. It never fails to make tasters say, “wow!”—Linda Wetsch, Mandan, North Dakota
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon apple brandy or rum, optional
- 1. Pour butter into an ungreased 9-in. round baking pan; sprinkle with 1/2 cup brown sugar. Arrange apples in a single layer over brown sugar; layer with walnuts and remaining brown sugar.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk and sour cream, beating well after each addition. Beat in brandy if desired.
- 3. Spoon batter over brown sugar layer. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 444 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC