Apple Turnovers Recipe
These traditional apple turnovers are tender and flaky, with apple pie-like filling and a thin, white glaze. I freeze the extras and warm them up in the microwave. They're great with coffee. —Dorothy Bayes, Sardis, Ohio
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, divided
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in 1/4 cup butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-in. x 6-in. rectangle.
- 2. Cut remaining butter into thin slices. Starting at a short side of dough, arrange half of the butter slices over two-thirds of rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges. Fold unbuttered third of dough over middle third. Fold remaining third over the middle, forming a 6-in. x 4-in. rectangle. Roll dough into a 12-in. x 6-in. rectangle.
- 3. Repeat steps of butter layering and dough folding, ending with a 6-in. x 4-in. rectangle. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 15 minutes. Roll dough into a 12-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Fold in half lengthwise and then widthwise. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Add apples and lemon juice; toss to coat. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring often. Remove from the heat.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine egg and water. Roll dough into a 12-in. square; cut into four squares. Brush with half of the egg mixture. Spoon about 1/4 cup filling on half of each square; fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with remaining egg mixture. With a sharp knife, cut three small slits in the top of each turnover.
- 6. Bake at 450° for 17-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over turnovers. Serve warm. Yield: 4 servings.
1 turnover equals 456 calories, 24 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 537 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC