Apple Turnovers with Custard Recipe
I'm almost finished writing my own cookbook. When I was working on the apple section, I knew I had to submit this recipe for the contest. With the flaky turnovers and rich sauce, it outshines every other apple recipe I make! -Leora Muellerleile, Turtle Lake, Wisconsin
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half cream
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium baking apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-in slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir 1 cup into yolks. Return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool slightly. Cover surface of custard with waxed paper; chill.
- Place apples in a bowl; sprinkle with lemon juice. Add butter. Combine sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch; mix with apples and set aside.
- Divide pastry into eight portions; roll each into a 5-in. square. Spoon filling off-center on each. Brush edges with milk. Fold over to form a triangle; seal. Crimp with tines of fork. Make steam vents on top.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Chill 15 minutes. Brush with milk. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes. Serve warm with custard. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Apple Turnovers with Custard in Taste of Home August/September 1994, p27
Reviews for Apple Turnovers with Custard(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2012
the turnovers were meh, I found them to be lacking in flavor
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Recipes >
- Apple Turnovers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >