Apple Turnovers with Custard Recipe
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half cream
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium baking apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-in slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- 1. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir 1 cup into yolks. Return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool slightly. Cover surface of custard with waxed paper; chill.
- 2. Place apples in a bowl; sprinkle with lemon juice. Add butter. Combine sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch; mix with apples and set aside.
- 3. Divide pastry into eight portions; roll each into a 5-in. square. Spoon filling off-center on each. Brush edges with milk. Fold over to form a triangle; seal. Crimp with tines of fork. Make steam vents on top.
- 4. Place on greased baking sheets. Chill 15 minutes. Brush with milk. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes. Serve warm with custard. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 436 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 262mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Apple Turnovers with Custard
"the turnovers were meh, I found them to be lacking in flavor"