VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups milk or half-and-half cream
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium baking apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-in slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pastry for double-crust pie
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir 1 cup into yolks. Return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool slightly. Cover surface of custard with waxed paper; chill.
- Place apples in a bowl; sprinkle with lemon juice. Add butter. Combine sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch; mix with apples and set aside.
- Divide pastry into eight portions; roll each into a 5-in. square. Spoon filling off-center on each. Brush edges with milk. Fold over to form a triangle; seal. Crimp with tines of fork. Make steam vents on top.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Chill 15 minutes. Brush with milk. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes. Serve warm with custard. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Apple Turnovers with Custard in Taste of Home August/September 1994, p27
Reviews forApple Turnovers with Custard
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2012
"the turnovers were meh, I found them to be lacking in flavor"