Apple Turnover Recipe
For an old-fashioned apple pastry without all the leftovers, try this recipes. My mother made this all the years she lived alone. Now I make it for myself or my husband as a sweet treat.—Phyllis Fahey, Fergus Falls, Minnesota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:1 servings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot water
- 1. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 7-in. circle. Place apple slices on half of the circle; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Fold dough over filling, sealing edges with fingers or pressing with a fork. Brush with milk. Prick top with a fork. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over turnover. Yield: 1 serving.
1 serving (1 each) equals 417 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 302 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC