Apple Turnover Recipe
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 4 teaspoons shortening
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot water
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 7-in. circle. Place apple slices on half of the circle; sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Fold dough over filling, sealing edges with fingers or pressing with a fork. Brush with milk. Prick top with a fork. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over turnover. Yield: 1 serving.
Reviews for Apple Turnover(3)
Sort By :
1/4 cup of flour can not possibly be enough
to make these turnovers. Please correct
the recipe. Sounds so good.
I tried this recipe out, and the finished product tasted fantastic. My only problem was that with a "medium" apple, I could only fit half of it into the crust! If you're set on using a whole apple, look for the smallest granny smith you can find at your grocery store. Also, I'd suggest chilling the dough for a little while before rolling it out. Mine ended up a little bit too fragile.
Maybe it's me because I'm not too experienced with pies or turnovers, but I tried to double this recipe to make enough for two, and there was way too little dough for the amount of apples! The turnovers didn't look much like the picture, and there are a lot of leftover apple pieces. The pastry dough also needs a little sweetness in my opinion. I'll try it again because it was easy but the recipe needs revision.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Recipes >
- Apple Turnovers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >