Apple Tuna Sandwiches
My husband and his buddies love to pack these tasty sandwiches when they go on fishing trips. The tangy tuna salad gets fun flavor from sweet pickle relish and lots of crunch from apples, celery and walnuts. The satisfying sandwiches are a complete meal in themselves.
-Ivy Eresmas, Dade City, Florida
3 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pouch (7.1 ounces) light water-packed tuna
- 1/2 cup chopped red apple
- 6 slices reduced-calorie bread, toasted
- 6 lettuce leaves
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; stir in tuna and
- apple. Spread 1/2 cup tuna mixture on three slices of bread. Top
- with lettuce and remaining bread. Yield: 3 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich equals 286 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 704 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.