- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups torn romaine
- 1 medium red apple, thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels or walnuts
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the first nine ingredients; shake well. In a salad bowl, combine the romaine, apple, onion and sunflower kernel. Add dressing and toss to coat. Let stand for 30 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Apple Tossed Salad(2)
Sort By :
This is a good salad. Vinegar is a little too strong for me unless I add a bit of sugar to it (depending on what it's used in), and I found it more to my taste when I did this with leftover salad. I think maybe a couple teaspoons or a tablespoon added to the ingredients for the dressing would help it...... for me anyway. I forgot to sprinkle on the sunflower seeds/walnuts. I'm sure that adds to it too.
My husband and I are on the Atkins Weight Loss Program and I am always looking for new low carb recipes and this one is fantastic! I made this yesterday to take to a family Thanksgiving dinner and it got rave reviews.