Apple-Topped Oatcakes Recipe
During the week we have quick breakfasts...but on Saturday I like to make something special. This is one of our favorite recipes because the oatcakes and apple topping are a tasty, wholesome combination. They also can be made ahead so a hungry family doesn't have to wait long. -Lois Hofmeyer, Aurora, Illinois
- 1-1/2 cups hot milk
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- LEMON APPLES:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. In a large bowl, combine milk and oats; let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the egg, oil and molasses. Combine dry ingredients; stir into oat mixture just until moistened. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold gently into batter. Set aside.
- 2. Heat butter in a skillet until foamy. Add the apples, lemon juice and peel; cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook oatcakes. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot greased griddle. Cook until bubbles form; turn and cook until browned on other side.
- 4. For apples, combine sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg; add to apple mixture and cook 2 minutes longer or until tender. Serve warm over oatcakes. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 290 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein .
Reviews for Apple-Topped Oatcakes
Reviewed Jun. 15, 2011
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC