Apple-Topped Ham Steak Recipe
- 4 fully cooked boneless ham steak (8 ounces each)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups apple juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 medium green apples, thinly sliced
- 2 medium red apples, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage or 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet coated with cooking spray, brown ham steaks in batches over medium heat; remove and keep warm.
- 2. In same skillet, saute onion until tender. Stir in apple juice and mustard; bring to a boil. Add apples. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4 minutes or until apples are tender.
- 3. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into apple juice mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in sage and pepper. Return steaks to skillet; heat through. Yield: 8 servings.
4 ounce serving (prepared with lean ham steak) equals 240 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 1,474 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1-1/2 fruit.