Apple-Topped Biscuits Recipe
- 3 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tube (16.3 ounces) large refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- In a large saucepan, combine the apples, sugar, tapioca, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Let stand for 15 minutes. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Transfer apple mixture to a greased 9-in. pie plate. Place biscuits over apples. Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until biscuits are browned. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Apple-Topped Biscuits
Sort By :
I had the ingredients to make this on hand when I was in a rush to provide a snack for my oldest daughter's class. Since I was pressed for time, I did the canned apple shortcut and mixed in the cinnamon and nutmeg. As handy as this recipe is, there's a big adjustment that I would make. The bottom of the biscuits (that sit on the apple mixture) would not bake properly and were doughy. I used a high quality stoneware pan and I bake all the time. I'd definitely make this again, but I would bake the biscuits until done, then take it out and add the heated apple mixture on top. Or maybe put it back into the oven for a few minutes after adding the apple mixture.