This delicious alternative to maple syrup makes a great change-of-pace topper for French toast and other morning meals. "My husband doesn't feel deprived when I serve this syrup with his waffles and pancakes," says Barbara Hill of Oil Springs, Ontario.
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened apple juice
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 4 teaspoons sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and
- apple juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in sugar
- substitute. Yield: 1-1/4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2 tablespoons) equals 20 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: Free food.