Apple Sweet Potato Side Recipe
Mother never used a recipe, so for years, there were no written instructions to make this dish. When the memories of this Thanksgiving side dish began to haunt me, I set out to duplicate this comfort food, which took me many tries. It bakes in the oven with other foods, needing little attention. -Opal Sanders, Glouster, Ohio
- 5 medium sweet potatoes (2-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 4 medium)
- 3/4 cup thawed apple juice concentrate
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan or Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover and cook for 30-45 minutes or until tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice potatoes.
- Place apples in a large saucepan and cover with water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 7-8 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Place apples and sweet potatoes in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine apple juice concentrate, 1-1/2 cups water, sugars and salt. Combine cornstarch with remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into apple juice concentrate mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted. Pour over potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Apple Sweet Potato Bake in Reminisce November/December 2003, p48
Reviews for Apple Sweet Potato Side(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2012
Even the sweet potato haters tried this one. And it was tasty as a left-over, too! Even the kids liked it.
Reviewed Dec. 6, 2009
I did exactly what the recipe called for and it turned out great. My husband really loved it. Thank you for sharing.