- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 12 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; top with half of the pecans, a single layer of bread and remaining pecans. Arrange apples and remaining bread over the top.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and nutmeg. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Serve with French toast. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Apple-Stuffed French Toast
Sort By :
"Delicious combination of flavors"
"We had relatives stay with us and they had six children...I made this recipe the first morning they were here and they requested I make it for breakfast the next morning. I love this recipe and will use it frequently. I did bake it at 375 for 45 minutes and it helped the bottom layer to not be soggy. We have leftovers and now that our company has left...my husband and I are going to fight over who gets them for breakfast tomorrow morning!"
"I tried this recipe two days ago and it turned out really good. My friends and family loved it. Thanks for sharing the recipe."
"Did anyone have problems with the bottom slices being REALLY soggy? Ihad to bake it twice as long and flip it halfway to get it so it wasn't so soggy."
"This French Toast was amazing even without the nuts. Since my mom is allergic i had to make it without. But even without it is so flavorful."