Apple-Stuffed French Toast Bake Recipe
This is a great breakfast dish to make ahead for holidays or Sunday brunch. I run a bed and breakfast and tea room cafe, and this recipe is often requested by customers. —Kay Clark, Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 12 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and corn syrup; cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with half of the pecans, a single layer of bread and remaining pecans. Arrange apples and remaining bread over the top.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and nutmeg. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 3. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 4. In a small saucepan, combine the sauce ingredients. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Serve with French toast. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 854 calories, 46 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 282 mg cholesterol, 722 mg sodium, 102 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 14 g protein.
Reviews for Apple-Stuffed French Toast Bake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC