- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 medium apple, peeled and grated
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry or additional unsweetened apple juice
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; sprinkle over both sides of chicken. Set aside.
- In a small nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add apple; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the bread crumbs, basil, rosemary and remaining salt; heat through.
- Top each piece of chicken with 3 tablespoons apple mixture. Roll up and secure with toothpicks; coat with flour. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon butter until browned on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Stir apple juice and sherry or additional juice into pan, stirring to loosen any browned bits. Return chicken to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; discard toothpicks. Add remaining butter to pan juices; whisk until blended. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Apple-Stuffed Chicken Breasts in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p231
Reviews for Apple-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 31, 2013
"Great flavor, easy to make. The whole family loved it."