A friend served this chicken when we were over for dinner, and we enjoyed it so much I asked for the recipe. There are many chicken farms in this area, so I'm always on the lookout for new chicken recipes.
- 1 package (6 ounces) chicken-flavored stuffing mix
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Prepare stuffing according to package directions. Meanwhile, sprinkle inside of chicken with salt and pepper; rub outside with oil.
- In a large bowl, mix stuffing with the apple, celery, nuts, raisins and lemon peel. Lightly stuff chicken. Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan, combine the glaze ingredients. Bring to a simmer; heat, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Brush over chicken. Bake 20-30 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear, brushing occasionally with glaze. Cover with foil and let stand for 10-15 minutes. Remove stuffing, then carve chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Apple Stuffed Chicken in Country February/March 1995, p51
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Apple Stuffed Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review