- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups peeled chopped tart apples
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk together first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened (batter will be stiff). Fold in apples.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. For topping, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool. Mix glaze ingredients; drizzle over tops. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Apple Streusel Muffins
"Used granny smiths, and caramel extract in the glaze. More dense than my usual muffin recipes, but we all enjoyed them."
"A great recipe for fall! I used gala's, which are my favorite, and left them in pretty big chunks so you could be sure to get the apple in almost every bite!"
"Great recipe! Family loves these muffins- no need for glaze- perfect as is thanks for sharing"
"These apple muffins are dense and moist - more like pound cake than a muffin. You can really taste the butter. I added 1 tsp. cinnamon to the batter and skipped the glaze. I received many compliments on these muffins."
"I have made these a number of times. They are very good."
"These are one fantastic muffin. I added 1 tsp. ground cinnamon. 1/2 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg and 1 tsp. cinnamon extract to the muffin batter-that added a nice flavor note with the apples. I didn't glaze them because I knew I would be putting some in the freezer. They were delicious even without the glaze-so nice and tender and the streusel added the perfect crunch to the top. Thank you Dulcy for sharing this wonderful recipe."
"Light & full of flavor."
"These muffins came out delicious..the whole family loved them. They're a great way to get kids to eat apples. I did add pecans to a few."
"This is a family favorite. We never make the glaze. I use frozen apples if I do not have fresh."
"Great without the glaze. I used Rome apples, my favorite baking apples."