Apple Streusel Muffins Recipe
My husband and children enjoy these tender coffee cake-like muffins as a quick breakfast or snack on the run. The drizzle of glaze makes them pretty enough for company. —Dulcy Grace, Roaring Spring, Pennsylvania
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine eggs, butter and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be stiff). Fold in apples.
- 2. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over muffins. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 324 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 313 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC