Apple Streusel Ice Cream Recipe
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons plus 4-1/2 teaspoons cold butter, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped peeled Golden Delicious apple
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ICE CREAM:
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 jar (12 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. For streusel, combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in 3 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans.
- 2. Press into a 9-in. pie plate. Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges are browned. Cool slightly; break into small pieces. Cool completely.
- 3. In a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Stir in apple, sugar and cinnamon. Cook 8-10 minutes or until apple is tender; cool.
- 4. In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175° stir in sugar until dissolved. Cool. In a large bowl, combine milk mixture; cream and vanilla. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 5. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's directions, adding apple mixture during the last 5 minutes of processing.
- 6. Spoon a third of the ice cream into a freezer container. Top with a third of the streusel mixture. Drizzle with a third of the caramel topping. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining ice cream. With a spatula, cut through ice cream in several places to gently swirl layers. Cover; freeze overnight. Garnish with the remaining streusel and caramel topping. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
1/2 cup: 344 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Apple Streusel Ice Cream
"I agree---by far the BEST ice cream ever! When we want to have a real treat, this is the one we think of."
"I love apple ice cream and was so happy to finally find one that tastes just right. Try these grilled s'mores sandwiches as an accompaniment."
"This is the absolute best ice cream I have ever eaten. My husband says he thought he died and went to heaven when he tried a spoonful. It takes some effort to make but worth every bit. I did not heat the milk and sugar and refrigerate overnight but instead just put the milk, cream and sugar in a bowl, stirring until disolved and put it right into the ice cream maker until it was thick (20-25 minutes). I then added the apples and streusel for just a couple of minutes and then froze. YUMMY! Susan V - Carmel Indiana"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.