Apple Squash Soup
This is a new twist on an old favoritepumpkin soup. I add a little ginger and sage to apples and squash to make this creamy soup. My family loves it when autumn rolls around. Crystal Ralph-Haughn of Bartlesville, Oklahoma
5 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 medium tart appless, peeled and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen cooked winter squash, thawed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and
- sage; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until tender. Add broth, apples
- and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12
- Add squash, ginger and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, 10 minutes. Remove soup from heat; cool slightly.
- Process in batches in a blender until smooth; return to pan. Add
- milk; heat through, stirring occasionally (do not allow to boil).
- Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 142 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 647 mg sodium,