Apple Squash Soup
This is a new twist on an old favoritepumpkin soup. I add a little ginger and sage to apples and squash to make this creamy soup. My family loves it when autumn rolls around. Crystal Ralph-Haughn of Bartlesville, Oklahoma
5 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 medium tart appless, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen mashed squash, thawed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and sage in butter for 3 minutes or
- until tender. Add the broth, water and apples; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Add the squash, ginger and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool until lukewarm.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth; return to pan.
- Add milk; heat through. (Do not boil.) Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 142 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 647 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.