Apple Squash Soup Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 medium tart appless, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen mashed squash, thawed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and sage in butter for 3 minutes or until tender. Add the broth, water and apples; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Add the squash, ginger and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool until lukewarm.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth; return to pan. Add milk; heat through. (Do not boil.) Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Apple Squash Soup(6)
Sort By :
Mild and very good autumn soup. I used fresh steamed butternut and evaporated milk for creaminess.
My Daughter is fighting cancer. She can't have butter or Milk. I used Cocomut oil in stead of butter and Almond milk. This was a great hit with then entire family, from youngest grandchild to Grandpa. My daughter loved it and wanted to take some home but it was all gone.
I had leftover squash to use and was in the mood for soup so I tried this recipe. I am so glad I did! My three-year-old son actually wanted a second bowl and he never asks for seconds of soup. My husband also said the flavor was really good-we especially liked the subtle taste of sage. I did substitute vegetable broth for chicken and added a little more broth when I processed the soup as it seemed like it was going to be too thick. It was delicious! I will definitely be making this again!
This is really good! I did tick it a bit for my own personal liking. I used fat free vegetarian broth and placed everything in the crock pot (except the milk) on simmer for six hours. I did not peel the apples and I used a sixteen ounce bag of frozen butternut squash. After it was done, I blended it with an emersion blender and added the milk and about three tablespoons of brown sugar. Next time I might add a third apple. This is a definite keeper!
I substituted steamed fresh squash instead of frozen...and even though I loved the recipe I think I'll go a little lighter on the sage the next time. Family loved it.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Apple Soup >
- Butternut Squash Recipes >
- Cream Soups >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Squash Soup >
- Squash Soup Recipes >