We like this cake because it's economical, looks elegant and tastes delicious. Our friends enjoy it.—Norma Lee Ingle, Swan, Iowa
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups cinnamon applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 7 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix (Dream Whip)
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, applesauce, eggs and oil; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, cook pie filling, butter and 1 teaspoon cinnamon until butter is melted; stir until well blended. Cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, pudding mix, topping mix and remaining cinnamon. Beat on high until thickened, about 5 minutes; set aside. Spread a third of the whipped topping in a 6-qt. trifle bowl.
- Cut cake into cubes; place half over topping. Top with half of the fruit mixture, walnuts and pudding mixture. Repeat layers. Spread with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with toffee bits. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Originally published as Apple Spice Cake Trifle in Taste of Home October/November 1999, p54
Reviews for Apple Spice Cake Trifle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review