- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, sugars and lemon peel
- until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after
- each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking
- powder, baking soda, allspice, nutmeg and salt; add to creamed
- mixture alternately with applesauce, beating well after each
- addition. Stir in the pecans and apple.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9- or 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at
- 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a
- wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a heavy saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar over low
- heat. Stir in cream. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil;
- boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and vanilla
- until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour over cake; immediately sprinkle
- with pecans. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 444 calories, 22 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 218 mg sodium, 59 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.