- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2/3 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- BROWN SUGAR GLAZE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, sugars and lemon peel until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, nutmeg and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with applesauce, beating well after each addition. Stir in the pecans and apple.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9- or 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a heavy saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar over low heat. Stir in cream. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and vanilla until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour over cake; immediately sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forApple Spice Bundt Cake
"I HAVEN'T HAD THIS YET, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO SEE THE DIFFERENCE BE-TWEEN HAVING FROSTING ON A cake , @ COOL WHIP. COOL WHIP HAS LESS CALORIES.IN THE NUTRITION COLUMN. WITHOUT FROSTING ? CALORIES. COULD THAT BE DONE IN THE FUTURE? THANKS . WENTLANDMOM"
"I recall making this cake when it had been featured in Taste of Home! I've changed the amount of salt to 1 tsp. rather than 1/4 tsp. for more flavor and for more rising! Obviously I'd written out this recipe so that I could make it! I'd say that this recipe rates as a 5* recipe! I baked the cake 50 to 55 minutes in a greased and floured 10" Bundt cake pan! If I remember correctly, I used milk for the glaze, rather than whipping cream! This recipe which I'd written down is in one of my "Crate 'o Recipes" so that I can prepare it when I want to make an apple cake! I'll say this: Taste of Home and its companion magazines with recipes certainly has a wonderful supply of apple recipes! Laurel Leslie, thank you for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home! delowenstein"
"This is a very dense cake. I added raisins and my family loved it. and I made more prailine for the top."
"This is a lovely cake with a moist tender crumb. Next time I'll add a little more chopped apple as we like pieces of fruit in our cakes!"
"Sounds good will be trying this tomorrow. "