This cake is perfect for the autumn season. Not too sweet and not too heavy, the moist bundt cake has a mild fruit flavor and a pleasant spice level.—Laurel Leslie, Sonora, California
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 2/3 cup finely chopped peeled tart apple
- BROWN SUGAR GLAZE:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening, sugars and lemon peel until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, nutmeg and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with applesauce, beating well after each addition. Stir in the pecans and apple.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9- or 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a heavy saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar over low heat. Stir in cream. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; whisk in sugar and vanilla until smooth, about 1 minute. Pour over cake; immediately sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Apple Spice Bundt Cake in Taste of Home October/November 2003, p19
Reviews for Apple Spice Bundt Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review