Apple-Spice Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Reduced-fat whipped topping and/or apple slices, optional
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix and water. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Fold in the applesauce, pecans and pie spice.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Garnish with whipped topping and/or apple slices if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Apple-Spice Angel Food Cake
Sort By :
This cake sounds like a "winner" to me. I will definitely add this cake to my list of "special" desserts. In the spring you could change things around and add strawberries and chocolate chips and add dollops of chocolate flavored whipped topping or just layer with fresh strawberries on top. There are so many options for each season and/or holiday.
You have to use the 1 bag mix to use this recipe. Other wise mix as directed
Cake didn't rise like I expected. Directions on cake mix box had beating egg whites with water 5 minutes before sprinkling flour into beaten egg whites. The next time I think I will follow those directions before folding in the applesauce etc.
I made this to take to work since everyone was dieting, i felt it was a better option. It disappeared off the table. Very good !
This is a great way to dress up an angel food cake. My husband isn't that fond of angel good cake, but really liked this one.