Apple-Spice Angel Food Cake Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Reduced-fat whipped topping and/or apple slices, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and water. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Fold in the applesauce, pecans and pie spice.
- 2. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- 3. Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Garnish with whipped topping and/or apple slices if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 136 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 209 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.