I dressed up an angel food cake mix with some nuts, spice and applesauce to make an easy and light dessert. I serve it with a dollop of whipped topping mixed with one half cup of sour cream. —Joan Buehnerkemper, Altamont, Illinois
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Reduced-fat whipped topping and/or apple slices, optional
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix and water. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Fold in the applesauce, pecans and pie spice.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Garnish with whipped topping and/or apple slices if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Apple-Spice Angel Food Cake in Healthy Cooking October/November 2012, p27
Reviews for Apple-Spice Angel Food Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review