Apple-Spice Acorn Squash
In Fostoria, Ohio, Joann Fell adds chopped apples and spices to warmed acorn squash, then microwaves for a fast and comforting mealtime accompaniment.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a
- microwave-safe baking dish. Add 1/2 in. of water. Microwave,
- uncovered, on high for 10-13 minutes or until almost tender; drain.
- Combine the apple, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg; spoon into squash
- cavities. Dot with butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 6-8
- minutes or until squash and apples are tender. Let stand for 5
- minutes before serving. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 filled squash half equals 207 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 47 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fruit, 1 fat.