Apple Snack Cake
"This good-for-you dessert is packed with ingredients that remind me of fall!" writes field editor Lisa Varner from Charleston, South Carolina. Chopped apples and walnuts add fun flavor to this moist snack cake that is sprinkled with cinnamon-sugar topping.
9 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 egg whites, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar and baking powder.
- Add egg whites and vanilla; mix well. Fold in apples and nuts.
- Spread into a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Combine cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Nutritional Analysis: One piece equals 185 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 128 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fruit.