Just the aroma of this cooking at breakfast takes me back to my days growing up in Pennsylvania. This recipe was a favorite at home and at church breakfasts.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 1 hour 20 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 3/4 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup diced unpeeled apple
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Additional butter for frying
- Maple syrup
- In a skillet, cook the sausage and onion until sausage is not longer
- pink and onion is tender. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon;
- set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Add butter,
- apple, thyme, sage and pepper to drippings; cook over low heat for 5
- minutes or until apple is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in
- sausage and onion mixture. Set aside. In a heavy saucepan, bring 2
- cups water to a boil. Combine cornmeal, salt and remaining water;
- stir into boiling water. Return to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.