- 3/4 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup diced apple, unpeeled
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Maple syrup
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender. Remove from skillet; set aside.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add 2 tablespoons butter, apple, thyme, sage and pepper to drippings; cook over low heat until apple is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sausage mixture. Set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Combine cornmeal, salt and remaining water; slowly pour into boiling water, stirring constantly. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in sausage mixture. Pour into a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Refrigerate, covered, for 8 hours or overnight.
- Slice 1/2 in. thick. Sprinkle flour over both sides of each slice. In a large skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat. Add slices; cook until both sides are browned. Serve with syrup. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Apple Scrapple in Country Pork 1996, p60
Reviews for Apple Scrapple
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review