- 3/4 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup diced unpeeled apple
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Additional butter for frying
- Maple syrup
- In a skillet, cook the sausage and onion until sausage is not longer pink and onion is tender. Remove from skillet with a slotted spoon; set aside. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet. Add butter, apple, thyme, sage and pepper to drippings; cook over low heat for 5 minutes or until apple is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in sausage and onion mixture. Set aside. In a heavy saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Combine cornmeal, salt and remaining water; stir into boiling water. Return to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sausage mixture. Pour into a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover and chill 8 hour or overnight. Slice 1/2 in. thick. Sprinkle both sides of slices with flour. Fry in a buttered skillet until browned on each side. Serve with syrup. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Apple Scrapple in Country Pork 1996, p60
Reviews for Apple Scrapple
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 17, 2009
"This is an absolutely fabulous breakfast treat. We make our own maple syrup and this goes with it so well."