Apple Sausage-Stuffed Squash Recipe
Acorn squash makes a fitting bowl for the flavorful apple, pork and cheese stuffing in this recipe from Carol Meyskens of Oregon, Wisconsin.
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 6 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped celery, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup diced process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1. Cut squash in half; remove seeds. Place cut side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook the sausage, celery if desired and onion over medium heat, until meat is no longer pink. Add apple; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Drain.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the flour, egg and sour cream until smooth; stir into sausage mixture.
- 4. Turn squash over; sprinkle cut sides with salt. Stuff with sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the stuffing reads 160°. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 452 calories, 28 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 169 mg cholesterol, 800 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC