- 1 medium acorn squash
- 6 ounces bulk Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 1/2 cup chopped celery, optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup diced process cheese (Velveeta)
- Cut squash in half; remove seeds. Place cut side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook the sausage, celery if desired and onion over medium heat, until meat is no longer pink. Add apple; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, egg and sour cream until smooth; stir into sausage mixture.
- Turn squash over; sprinkle cut sides with salt. Stuff with sausage mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the stuffing reads 160°. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews for Apple Sausage-Stuffed Squash
Sort By :
"Great way to stuff squash. I used Italian turkey sausage and reduced fat cheese to make it a little healthier. Comfort food on a cold day."
"This is a terrific way to use up squash. I've used both delicate and sweet dumpling to make this dish."
"I love apple, I love sausage, and I love acorn squash. But all together this recipe wasn't good at all. It took at least 50% longer to cook than the recipe indicated and it just tasted odd."
"My husband turned up his nose after reading the recipe, but now asks for it again and again! Even our picky eater enjoys it!"
"This is my favorite stuffed acorn squash recipe. I have been making it a few times each autumn since I saw the recipe in the ToH magazine."