"Our family enjoys these unique pancakes as often as possible," relates Kathi Duerr from Fulda, Minnesota. Loaded with sausage and apple, the filling flapjacks are especially yummy with the spiced cider syrup.
Featured In: 32 Awesome Apple Breakfasts
- 1/2 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup pancake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled apple
- CIDER SYRUP:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the egg, milk and oil. Stir in pancake mix and cinnamon just until moistened. Fold in apple and sausage.
- Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle; turn when bubbles from on top. Cook until second side is golden brown.
- For syrup, combine the sugar, cornstarch and pumpkin pie spice in a saucepan. Gradually stir in cider and lemon juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter until melted. Serve warm with the pancakes. Yield: 8 pancakes.
Originally published as Apple Sausage Pancakes in Quick Cooking September/October 2001, p12
Reviews for Apple Sausage Pancakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 8, 2012
"Sooo delicious!!! Sweet and savory I cant say how good this was you just have to try it!"