Sandwiching sausage and apples between bread slices makes this baked French toast a bit different. "I like to serve to guests who spend the night," relates Renee Olson of Kendrick, Idaho. "It's a great way to get them going in the morning."
- 3/4 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 18 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- In a skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove and set aside. Add apples to the skillet; cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, milk, syrup and nutmeg until combined. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, arrange half of the bread. Top with the sausage, apples and remaining bread. Pour egg mixture over the top. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until eggs are set and bread is golden. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Apple-Sausage French Toast in Quick Cooking January/February 2003, p8
Reviews for Apple-Sausage French Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review