Apple Sausage Breakfast Ring Recipe
I came across this hearty breakfast when we were on vacation in Tennessee, and I adapted the recipe to our tastes. Now it's one of our most favorite breakfasts—especially when we have overnight guests. My husband and I are busy with our own construction company. So I appreciate recipes like this that can be made up in advance and frozen. It's quick and easy to thaw this breakfast ring overnight and then cook it in the microwave while preparing the eggs to be placed in the center.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour YIELD:8 servings
- 2 pounds lean bulk pork sausage
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1 cup shredded peeled apple
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1. Line a 2-1/2-qt. ring mold with plastic wrap or waxed paper. Combine all ingredients; mix well and press firmly into mold. Chill several hours or overnight.
- 2. Unmold, removing plastic/paper, onto a baking sheet with raised edges. Bake at 350° for 1 hour.
- 3. Transfer onto a serving platter; fill center of ring with scrambled eggs. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 399 calories, 27 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 134 mg cholesterol, 879 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC