Apple-Sage Roasted Turkey Recipe
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup minced fresh sage
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 large apples, cut into wedges
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a small saucepan, combine apple cider, jelly and butter. Cook and stir until butter is melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine minced sage and butter. With fingers, carefully loosen skin from the turkey breast; rub butter mixture under the skin. Brush turkey with apple cider. Sprinkle salt and pepper over turkey and inside cavity.
- 3. Place apples, onion and sage leaves inside the cavity. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
Bake, uncovered, 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with cider mixture. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Cover and let stand 20 minutes before slicing.
Freeze option: Place sliced turkey in freezer containers; top with any cooking juices. Cool and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 14 servings.
8 ounces cooked turkey equals 506 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 191 mg cholesterol, 466 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 66 g protein.
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer