Apple Rye Dressing Recipe
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) rye bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3 cups chopped tart apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, celery and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss the bread cubes with butter and seasoned salt. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 300° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the sausage mixture, apples, walnuts, raisins, apple juice and water. Add toasted bread cubes; stir to combine.
- 4. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until browned. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup: 378 calories, 22g fat (8g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 726mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Apple Rye Dressing
"This is nice."
"The flavor was wonderful! I used P. Farm whole grain seeded rye. Also used J. Dean Sage sausage. I will reduce the butter next time to 1/4 cup. The dressing seemed a little too oily in my mouth. Instead of seasoned salt I used 1 tsp garlic salt, 3/4 tsp sea salt & pinches of marjoram, parsley, and minced fresh sage."