Apple Rye Dressing Recipe
This dressing makes a great side dish at Christmas. It complements many main dishes but my favorite is roast pork.—Judy Been, Waukesha, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) rye bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3 cups chopped tart apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, celery and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss the bread cubes with butter and seasoned salt. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 300° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the sausage mixture, apples, walnuts, raisins, apple juice and water. Add toasted bread cubes; stir to combine.
- 4. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until browned. Yield: 12 servings.
3/4 cup equals 378 calories, 22 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 726 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC