This dressing makes a great side dish at Christmas. It complements many main dishes but my favorite is roast pork.—Judy Been, Waukesha, Wisconsin
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 4 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 loaf (1 pound) rye bread, cubed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3 cups chopped tart apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, celery and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the bread cubes with butter and seasoned salt. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 300° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- In a large bowl, combine the sausage mixture, apples, walnuts, raisins, apple juice and water. Add toasted bread cubes; stir to combine.
- Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until browned. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Apple Rye Dressing in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p50
Reviews for Apple Rye Dressing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review