- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and coarsely shredded (about 5 cups)
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Add sour cream and blend until a ball forms.
- Roll out on a floured surface into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread with softened butter; sprinkle with remaining filling ingredients.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Cut into 12 slices. Place slices, cut side down, in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.
- For topping, combine water, brown sugar and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; remove from the heat. Stir in the cream.
- Carefully pour hot topping over dumplings. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until bubbly. (Center will jiggle when dumplings are hot out of the oven but will set as dumplings stand for a few minutes.) Serve warm. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Apple Roly-Poly
"This recipe is amazing! When I put it in the oven, I thought it was a disaster because of all the water. But it poofed up and tastes wonderful. A new favorite!"
"Such a yummy recipe!! I love to make it, and it always turns out great :)"
"I followed these directions completely and it sure didnt turn out like the pix. It wasnt as thick and it dropped in when it sat to cool. I think 2 1/2 cups of water was too much. I may try it again and put less water."