Apple Rice Salad
With the classic combination of apples, celery and walnuts, this creamy side tastes like a jazzed up version of Waldorf salad. It complements most meat entrees or can be served on a bed of lettuce as a vegetarian dish.—Linda Bankauskas, Ann Arbor, Michigan
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, apples, walnuts, celery,
- cranberries and juice. In a small bowl, combine the remaining
- ingredients. Add to rice mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate for
- at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
To Make Ahead: Cook rice ahead of time and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 376 calories, 26 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 281 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.