Apple Rice Betty Recipe
Thelma Brown's cinnamony dessert is a longtime favorite. "When our six children lived at home, I made this often," says the Fulton, Illinois cook. "When my husband became diabetic, I reduced the sugar in the recipe. He enjoys this version as much as the original."
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 6-7 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from the heat; stir in sugar substitute. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon whipped topping. Yield: 6 servings.
1/2 cup: 177 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch, 2 fruit
Reviews for Apple Rice Betty
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC